Dim Lule
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dobrodošli na prvi i najveći forum ljubitelja lula i duhana za lule u regiji

Početna stranicaLatest imagesRegistracijaLoginRegistracija

Što je zapravo latakia!

Go down 
Autor/icaPoruka
kamarad igorrr
Oblak dima
Oblak dima
kamarad igorrr

Broj postova : 2437
Omiljeni duhani : sve što gori.... bez plamena

Što je zapravo latakia! Empty
PostajNaslov: Što je zapravo latakia!   Što je zapravo latakia! Empty13.10.13 21:06

Čini mi se da nigdje nema malo opširnije, ako ima, imenjače šišni to tamo.
Evo par podataka o ovom božanskom lišću:
Prvo ukratko a poslije jedan originalni tekst na originalnom jeziku:
Latakia nije vrsta duhana već način obrade, uglavnom orientalnih duhana poput Smyrne, Yenidje, Xanthi, Basma. Legenda kaže da je način dimljenja otkriven slučajno na Syrijskom selu kada je iz nekog razloga, već osušeni (na suncu) duhan ostao kod nekoga u kolibi iznad ognjišta na kojem se ložilo neko zimzeleno lokalno drvo (hrast ali i bor? smreka? čempres? tko zna?) i sušeni izmet od kamile koji je u takvom stanju vrlo kaloričan ali ima i osebujnu aromu... Shocked  Neki kažu da je to sa kamilom samo legenda...
U svakom slučaju otkriven je način obrade duhana koji je blag, niskonikotinski (zbog tla u kojem raste) sa aromom koju se ne može opisati. Ne pušači kada osjete ovaj duhan pričaju samo o onom dijelu sa kamilama i gledaju sa prezirom...

To je ukratko a evo što je o ovome rekao netko puno potkovaniji od mene:

Russ Oullette, (na druženju, danas, spomenuti) top blender:

What’s The Deal With Latakia?
September 13, 2012 By Russ 6 Comments
Latakia is one of the most famous pipe tobacco components, but it’s definitely a love-it or hate-it thing. For some people, it’s the elixir of the gods and for others it’s foul, rank and acrid. No matter how you feel about it, Latakia is a staple and a lot of people are curious about it but are reticent to give it a try.

A view of Cyprus.
Firstly, Latakia is not a tobacco; it’s a process. Latakia also comes from two areas- the island of Cyprus and Syria. The leaf that comes from Cyprus starts out as a Oriental varietal called Smyrna. It’s harvested and cured in a structure in which a fire burns using aromatic woods indigenous to the area, mostly of the evergreen type. When it turns black, the tobacco is ready for cutting. Virtually all the Latakia on the market currently comes from Cyprus.
The other Latakia, Syrian, is not currently in production. All of the Syrian Latakia being used is from older crops. The problem in Syrian Latakia production is not just the civil unrest, but also the governmental restrictions. In Syria, a tobacco called Shek-el-Bint is used and is smoked over a fire made with herbs and Syrian Oak. Here’s where the problem lies. For years, Syrian Oak was overharvested to the point where it was threatened with extinction. A number of years ago, the government stopped Latakia manufacture, but let it start up again in the last decade, but have pulled the plug again. How much of a supply is out there? It would be conjecture on my part. All we can hope is that they can begin again before the stockpiles are gone.
The difference between the two types is a matter of flavor profiles- Cyprian is bolder and more aromatic, whereas Syrian is smokier and more delicate. But one thing in particular is similar between them and, next to the flavor is the greatest draw- very cool smoking qualities. Personally, I’ve never smoked a Latakia-based blend that I would consider hot-smoking.
What’s the appeal of a tobacco that has a wood-smoke flavor and aroma? It mainly comes from the combination of other tobaccos and the percentages used. Mixing Latakia with a blend consisting of, primarily, Virginias will produce a sweet, smokiness that approaches a barbeque flavor.  As an example, you’ll get a hint of this in our Hearth & Home Victorian Stroll. If the blend contains a bit of unflavored black Cavendish, the similarity is even more pronounced.
When Turkish-type varietals become involved (like Smyrna), notes of leather and anise or licorice may come out along with a backbone of mustiness reminiscent of mushrooms. Our Larry’s Blend is representative of this type of mixture.
The brighter and more floral types of Orientals (Yenidje, Xanthi, Basma and the like) have, in my opinion, the most dramatic effect upon Latakia, bringing out a vibrant, incense-like aroma with a commanding, but very clean flavor. For varying types of blends of this sort, our Hearth & Home Marquee Series has three entries that showcase these properties- Magnum Opus, Black House and Fusilier’s Ration (coming in October 2012).

A close up of C&D Pirate Kake, a blend made with Latakia.
Today, we have an immense number of Latakia-based tobaccos on the market, many of which are among the most popular blends. They include such favorites as most of the Frog Mortons, many of the G.L. Pease line, such as Westminster, Star of the East, English Oriental Supreme, Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Sobranie, Commonwealth Mixture, and these are barely the tip of the iceberg.
Latakia is referred to as a condimental leaf, as a relatively small amount (less than 10% of a blend) can have an immense impact on the flavor and aroma. That said, a percentage of more than 60% can be found (such as Cornell and Diehl’s Pirate Kake and our Hearth & Home Marquee Series Cerberus), and yet the flavor of the other tobaccos can still be noticed.
Although I can’t prove it, I would conjecture that the cool smoking properties of this black leaf has something to do with the smoke particles that coat the outside of the tobacco acting as a type of insulation. Whether that’s true of not, there’s no question that of all the varietals used in pipe tobacco, nothing is easier on the tongue.
As for me, I’ve been a fan of Latakia since day one. After trying a Cavendish for my first blend, my father had me try his tobacco, which was a mild Latakia mixture. Right from the beginning, I was enraptured by the smokiness, how easy it was to puff all day. I’m just glad that I found the pleasure of it early on. If you haven’t tried a Latakia blend yet, don’t be afraid of the pouch aroma; give it a shot.

Rale, Vortimejovrh and GrⒶna like this post

[Vrh] Go down

Što je zapravo latakia!
[Vrh] 
Stranica 1 / 1.